Re: Turn of the century, millenium, etc.

Subject: Re: Turn of the century, millenium, etc.
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 00:03:25 -0800

>The 21st century starts on Jan. 1, 2001.

I think most folks on this list agree on that point, but I just heard
Stephen J. Gould on the radio saying that he thinks the "common-sense"
popular answer will win out over the "correct" high-culture answer.

That is, this argument comes up every hundred years, and in the past the
high-culture sources like the New York Times and the Farmer's Almanac have
prevailed over the voiceless popular view. Now, however, according to Gould,
pop culture and high-culture have become so intermingled that the
1999-to-2000 transition, the common-sense signal, will mark the new
millennium. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro