Acrobat file sizes

Subject: Acrobat file sizes
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 08:49:18 -0600

As I wondered through a large techwr-l digest, I spotted
this from David Ibbetson:

>My very limited experience with Acrobat has been its large file size. OK,
>there's plenty of space on a CD-ROM, but we're being encouraged to send
>Acrobat files over the Internet, or am I wrong?

>David (the winter-hater) Ibbetson
>end

To which I say, "Large as compared to what??"

On Friday, I had the task of converting to Acrobat a PageMaker document that had
been created by a coworker and that contained several EPS photos and
other figures. It was only 13 pages, but it was a technical conference
paper with lots of illustrations.

As a Pagemaker file, it was HUGE: 41.1 MB No joke.

As an Acrobat file, it was more reasonable: 850 KB

It has been my experience that Acrobat usually makes the document at least
half the size of the original, and that's with including downloadable fonts.

LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser, COREComm
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com (work)
You are invited to browse our web site: http://www.corecomm.com/corecomm/
My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.