Re: UNIX HTML files vs Windows HTM files

Subject: Re: UNIX HTML files vs Windows HTM files
From: "Marvin W. Miller" <Marvin_Miller -at- SEC -dot- SEL -dot- SONY -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 15:47:07 -0800

Word Internet Assistant is just a front end for generating HTML. It has
nothing to do with graphics. Use any graphics application to create your art.
But, make sure that it has a .gif and/or .jpg export filter. You can then
import the graphic into the WIA document just as you would a normal Word doc.
The resulting html file should run on a UNIX server.

Internet Assistant is a good tool for starting out, but you will find that it
does not provide all of the HTML features you may need. (Such as background
color, blinking text, etc.) It's a good idea to learn HTML code as well.

> Hi everyone,

> I create .htm files using MS Word Internet Assistant (plus some
> hand programming) for our Windows NT server. Recently friends with
> their own businesses have asked me to create web sites for them.

> The problem is that their providers have UNIX servers. In fact,
> my provider has a UNIX system, and, after creating my personal home
> page to post on my provider's server, I found it would not read
> my graphics; however, it will read the text. My provider then told me
> that I should something like Hot Dog Pro to create my files in.

> I don't have to worry about this at work. But if I start creating
> web sites for friends whose providers have UNIX servers, how can I do
> this?

> Does anyone have any experience with this?

> Thanks.

> Geri Pilcher, Corporate Webmaster
> Scantron Corporation: Creative Solutions for Information Management
> WWW: http://www.scantron.com
> Email: webmaster -at- scantron -dot- com or gepilche%pubs -at- scantron -dot- com Work
> Phone: 1-800-421-5066, ext. 222; Work FAX: 714-259-8423 Personal
> FAX: 310-429-2158; Personal Email: gpilcher -at- deltanet -dot- com

Marvin W. Miller
Supervisor, Technical Communications Group
Sony Systems Engineering Center - San Jose, CA
Ph 408-955-4251

Opinions expressed here probably differ from that of my
employer. If I ruffle your feathers, get mad at me - not Sony.