Voice Recognition in 'Lord of the Rings'

Subject: Voice Recognition in 'Lord of the Rings'
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:41:42 +0800

Tammy Sudol <tammy -at- ZEUS -dot- ATS -dot- QC -dot- CA> said:
> We're currently writing test procedures for an application that includes
> a voice recognition module... when I want to instruct the user to Say
> " Ready for clearance" do I use "say" or "speak" or "?"

Gandalf had this same problem at the Gates of Moria. He translated the
inscription over the (locked) door as "Speak, Friend, and enter." Taking
this as an injunction to enter a password, he tried every password in
every language he could think of. Eventually he realised the correct
translation should have been "Say 'friend' and enter." He said the Elvish
word for 'friend' and the door popped open.

He may have been a wizard but clearly he was no guru.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield (slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au) Voice: +61 9 328 8288
Functional Software Fax: +61 9 328 8616
PO Box 192
Leederville, Western Australia, 6903