Good books/agencies/training courses

Subject: Good books/agencies/training courses
From: Peter Kent <76711 -dot- 2557 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 12:13:12 EST

I've almost finished updating "The Technical Writer's Freelancing Guide," but I
wanted to ask for a little advice.

I'm including a bibliography as well as information about training courses and
tech. writing agencies. So:

Can anyone recommend any good books on technical writing and consulting, books
that you've found particularly useful? These are the books that I've already
listed:

Cash Copy. Dr. Jeffrey Lant
Clear Technical Writing. John A. Brogan (McGraw-Hill).
The Elements of Style. William Strunk, Jr., and E. B. White
How to Write a Computer Manual. Jonathan Price
How to Write a Usable User Manual. Edmond H. Weiss
Secrets of a Freelance Writer: How to Make $85,000 a Year. Robert W. Bly
The Technical Writer's Handbook. Matt Young
Technical Writing: A Reader-Centered Approach. Paul V. Anderson
Technical Writing for Business and Industry. Patricia Williams and Pamela Beason
Writing Effective Software Documentation. Patricia Williams and Pamela Beason
Complete Guide to Consulting Success. Howard Shenson
The Consultant's Kit: Establishing and Operating Your Successful Consulting
Business. Dr. Jeffrey L. Lant
Consulting: The Complete Guide to a Profitable Career. Robert E. Kelley
Freelancing-The First 30 Days. Bill Coan
Going Freelance: A Guide for Professionals. Robert Laurance
The New Freelancer's Handbook: Successful Self-Employment. Marietta Whittlesley
The Psychology of Call Reluctance: How to Overcome the Fear of Self-Promotion.
George Dudley and Shannon Goodson
Small-Time Operator. Bernard Kamoroff (Bell Springs).

Correspondence courses:
Does anyone know of any technical-writing correspondence courses? I know that
the Univ. of CA at Berkeley has one, maybe someone else does, too.

Tech. writing agencies:
Does anyone know of any agencies that specialize in placing technical writers,
permanent or contract? SkuppSearch does, and I'm interested in finding any
others that do national placement, not just local.

Thanks very much for any help you can give,

Peter Kent