Summary of Screen Capture Programs

Subject: Summary of Screen Capture Programs
From: "Kamela J. Salyers" <kjsalyer -at- PRAIRIENET -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 09:39:01 -0600

A couple of weeks ago I requested info on screen capture programs. Here
is what y'all recommended:

The two big winners were:

o Paint Shop Pro (shareware) by Jasco, Inc. 800 622-2798 or 612 930-9171
o HiJaak (suite of graphics applications) 800 374-6738

Also mentioned:

o Capture-Eze by Applications Techniques 508 433-8464
o Fullshot by Inbit Co. 415 967-1788
o Graphic Tools for Windows (replaces Freeze Frame)
o Windows clipboard / Grab command
o Print Screen key / Paintbrush
o Photoshop

Several folks noted HotShot Graphics (the software we currently use) was
indeed still in business. However, I tried the provided numbers and received
"This number is no longer in service. . ."

**********

The Problem I am Trying to Eliminate w/ New Screen Capture Software:

(I didn't include this saga in the previous posting but expanded for
those who replied via e-mail.)

I need to capture RS6000 (AIX), AS400, and MVS mainframe screens which are
emulated on my PC in windows. The problems is color--when converting
these color screens to a b & w image, the color shows up as "annoying
patches or stripes where the color should be." (Tim Alton) So I am left
with a screen capture I cannot use b/c I cannot successfully convert it
to b & w.

I *can* set the emulation software to black on white except in one
application (mainframe) which will only display black on cream. The
resulting screen capture is that funky grayscale problem (the annoying
patches where color should be).

We are planning on trying HiJaak on a 90 day trial basis.

Thanks to all who responded!

Kammi

Kamela J. Salyers DeAtley
kjsalyer -at- firefly -dot- prairienet -dot- org