Re: Does hyphenation make reading hard for ESLers?

Subject: Re: Does hyphenation make reading hard for ESLers?
From: Glenda Jeffrey <jeffrey -at- HKS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 12:55:26 GMT

: Glenda Jeffrey wrote:
: Someone here claims that when English words are hy-
: phenated across lines (like that)...

David Ibbetson (ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com) replied:
: English is my first language and irrationally placed
: hyphens make English difficult for me to read. I think
: the only safe place to hyphenate hyphen-ated is where
: I've placed the hyphen.

Let's hope that the hyphenation software I use is smarter
than me. I was just whipping up a quick and (apparently very)
dirty example there -- I didn't mean to suggest that we would
be hyphenating incorrectly. I wanted to know whether *correct*
hyphenation would screw up people for whom English is not
their first language.
--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200