Re: hyphenation

Subject: Re: hyphenation
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:52:38 -0800

David (the puzzled idiot) Ibbetson asks:
>I was asked to post these examples of hyphenation. Can somebody explain to
>me how they happen. I think it's fair to say that WordStar 2 would have done
>better.
>----------------------
>Al-ltrans
>1,-222 Not the first time they've hyphenated numbers
>superb-rewery
>Pen-nzoil's
>coin-cide
>Nation-sBank
>hardli-ness

Software manages hypenation in one of two ways -- Either
it has a list of words, divided sylabically (sp?) in a
hyphenation table, or it's rule based.

If hyphenation is based on a table of words, the only
words you can automatically hyphenate are the ones in
the table (shortcomming) -- but, all the words that
do get hyphenated automagically are correctly divided
(benefit). MS Word has a hyphenation table.

If hyphenation is based on rules, you can hyphenate
any word that comes along (benefit) -- but, the words
may not be hyphenated correctly because English has
more exceptions than rules (shortcomming). Frame
has rule-based hyphenation.

You can always tell a rule-based hyphenator. ;-)

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com