Re: Does hyphenation make reading hard for ESLers? -Reply

Subject: Re: Does hyphenation make reading hard for ESLers? -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 08:28:59 -0800

Dear Glenda Jeffrey: I sent your question to our head graphics
designer who was born in the southern part of South Korea and
recently returned from a visit to her mother there. She said:

"I say yes. I have to stop/pause and put the word together but I am
not so sure if this has anything to do with me being a ESLer. I
pause with a word I am familiar with also, such as: some-
thing."

PS: I also asked her what she knows about deep kimchee, and she
wrote: "I think #deep kimchee# supposed to translate to #deep doo
doo# but I#ll never know. As a Korean person I would not get
offended by this kind of politically incorrect phrase as long as it
was used to say #deep doo doo# in a different way without racial
hatred. But then that is hard to tell sometimes."