Re: Bickering/defamation

Subject: Re: Bickering/defamation
From: Bruce WHITE <WHITE -at- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:32:07 UT

>Does anyone know how the law (of any country) views insults traded over mail
>lists? Can you libel or defame someone by posting personal attacks on a
>more-or-less public list?

In Australia we have had some recent news that the government was trying to
apply legislation to an offensive posting on a newsgroup. (I wish I had paid
more attention now.)

The law that applied in this case was a law against racial vilification. If
the internet address can be tracked backed to a person that is covered by that
law then that law has been broken. It is that simple, is it not?

WinHelp IT Editing
white -at- msn -dot- com
(Go WHITEbook on MSN)