Clipart in technical documentst: opinions needed

Subject: Clipart in technical documentst: opinions needed
From: Kathleen Walsh <kathleen -at- QANTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 17:13:41 -0800

I need some opinions about using clipart in technical documentation.
I don't mean graphics like screen dumps, flow charts, or diagrams.
I mean clipart (sometimes cartoon like). For example, the ones
the writer put into the review I received:

sherlock holmes silhouette next to the word Troubleshooting
phone next to the title "Call Accounting"
curtseying maid next to "Call Accounting with Maid Status"

I have 2 concerns:

1. that the document will look too busy with a clipart next to every
minor heading (as under PBX, I've got 7 sub-heads, only some of which
currently have clipart).

2. that it will distract from the seriousness/technical nature of the
document. We've put these graphics in newseletters and even marketing
and sales documents, but this is a technical reference manual explaining
how to install and use various interfaces with our Hotel package.

If you could reply by email (as well as posting if you wish), I would
appreciate it.

Kathleen
kathleen -at- qantel -dot- com