Re: chemical hoods

Subject: Re: chemical hoods
From: Stewart Walker <stewart -dot- walker -at- CPE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:25:25 +1000

Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 08:49:00 PST
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Subject: Re: chemical hoods

David Ibbetson wrote:
>Are those the things one finds in chemistry laboratories? If so, I think I
>would call it a fume extractor.

Marilynne Smith replied:
>If you have technicians of the uneducated sort working with the fume
>extractor, you had better call it some sort of hood. You might even call it
>a ventilated hood for removing dangerous fumes. In this case, it's very
>important to know who your reader is. What is written on the hood? A
>chemist is different in his understanding than a technician or a student.

My AUD$0.02:
When I did high school and university chemistry, they were called fume
cupboards (I missed the opening instalment - sorry if this is where you
started from!). This may be an Australian term, so as Marilynne says, it's
very important to know who your reader is.


"I love being a writer . . . what I can't stand is the paperwork"
-Peter De Vries

Stewart Walker
Technical Writer
Computer Power Education, ITS R&D Project
L4, 493 St Kilda Rd Melbourne 3004
Ph: In Australia - 03 9243 2317 International - 613 9243 2317
Fax: In Australia - 03 9820 2010 International - 613 9820 2010
E-mail: stewart -dot- walker -at- cpe -dot- com -dot- au
Check out our ever-improving web site at

Previous by Author: Online doc tools -- evaluation copies available?
Next by Author: Re: Dead-Simple HTML Editor?
Next by Thread: Re: chemical hoods

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads