Re: Screen Captures in a Document

Subject: Re: Screen Captures in a Document
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 11:04:57 IDT

Ideally, you would keep a constant ratio between the size of
the image on screen and the size of the image on the page, so
that the reader of the book feels that he is always looking
at the screen from the same distance rather than zooming in
and out like a jostled cameraman at a Madonna sighting.

However, if your full-screen capture is 4.25 inches wide,
likely you will not have the readability you want if you
use the same screen-to-page size ratio in partial captures
intended to emphasize details.

A compromise that I have satisfactory experience with is
to work with two or three different magnification factors--
for example, your full-screen magnification, 125% of it,
and 150% of it-- preferably with a consistent rationale for when to
use each magnification. My co-writer on one project initially wanted
to use a sliding scale (whatever magnification fits across the
page width for each individual partial capture), but when I
insisted on sticking to a set of three specific magnifications--
like switching among three lenses in a camera-- he admitted
that the results looked neatly professional.

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||