Re: chemical hoods

Subject: Re: chemical hoods
From: Ian White <ian -at- IFWTECH -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 12:08:47 +0100

Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862 wrote:
>I think the discussion on different terms is important for us as
>American English, UK English, Australian English etc are the same. If I
>have the potential to cause a life threatening situation because I use a
>term that the audience doesn't know, I am not doing my job well.

Absolutely: it's important to define any terms that might be
misinterpreted - and more important still, to know which terms those
are.

> I think
>it is a very common misconception that all English is the same.

It's especially common among speakers and writers of US English, most of
whom never encounter any other kind. In contrast, the rest of the world
is extensively exposed to US accents and usage, and has at least some
understanding of the differences.

For everybody's information, Colleen, what do you see as the main
differences between Australian English and British English?

Ian White | IFW Technical Services, Abingdon, England
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/IFW_Technical_Services