Re: chemical hoods

Subject: Re: chemical hoods
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 11:51:00 PST

At 04:25 PM 4/1/96 +1000, Stewart Walker wrote:
>Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 08:49:00 PST
>From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
>Subject: Re: chemical hoods

>David Ibbetson wrote:
>>Are those the things one finds in chemistry laboratories? If so, I think I
>>would call it a fume extractor.

>Marilynne Smith replied:
>>If you have technicians of the uneducated sort working with the fume
>>extractor, you had better call it some sort of hood. You might even call it
>>a ventilated hood for removing dangerous fumes. In this case, it's very
>>important to know who your reader is. What is written on the hood? A
>>chemist is different in his understanding than a technician or a student.

>My AUD$0.02:
>When I did high school and university chemistry, they were called fume
I think fume cupboards is a correct term. My point was simply that it is
vital for the user to understand its purpose and its operation.

(I missed the opening instalment - sorry if this is where you
>started from!). This may be an Australian term, so as Marilynne says, it's
>very important to know who your reader is.


>"I love being a writer . . . what I can't stand is the paperwork"
> -Peter De Vries

>Stewart Walker
>Technical Writer
>Computer Power Education, ITS R&D Project
>L4, 493 St Kilda Rd Melbourne 3004
>Ph: In Australia - 03 9243 2317 International - 613 9243 2317
>Fax: In Australia - 03 9820 2010 International - 613 9820 2010
>E-mail: stewart -dot- walker -at- cpe -dot- com -dot- au
>Check out our ever-improving web site at

Marilynne Smith
mrsmith -at- cts -dot- com

Previous by Author: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 24 Apr 1996 to 25 Apr 1996
Next by Author: Re: chemical hoods.
Previous by Thread: Re: chemical hoods
Next by Thread: Re: chemical hoods

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads