Re: Your favoriate html editor

Subject: Re: Your favoriate html editor
From: Gene Cronin <cronin -at- DONVAN -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 08:42:17 EST

Since being asked to write user information for the web as well
as hardcopy, I've been on a search for the perfect html editor
(for web only from scratch) and html converter (for .doc to .htm
while keeping a single source). I haven't found "it" and I certainly
haven't found "them". I am beginning to think that, as David Blyth said,
the best html editor is an ascii editor.

Of the crop that I have tried, which includes HotMetal, Internet
Assistant, and Web Publisher (this last one is a converter), none of
them produce a web-viewable page for all browsers without additional
editing of the source file using an ascii editor. It seems that they
all put in too much. That is, they all add commands that cause some
problem for some browser(s).

I do think that the html editors serve to give me a starting point.
That is, they either give me a template that I can populate with text
and graphics and modify to meet the needs of most browsers, or they
convert the .doc file into an 80% usable .html file. They certainly
help to cut down the learning curve.

I also think that going to pages I like and viewing the source to see
what it is I like about it, is a productive way to spend a lunch hour.

Thanks,

Gene Cronin, Principal Writer
Digital Equipment Corp.