Fees for medical textbook writing

Subject: Fees for medical textbook writing
From: Christopher Chalfant <cpc -at- TRANSEND -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 11:01:50 +0800

Hello!

This is my first post, so I'll introduce myself. I am a male, 31,
originally from southern California, living in Taiwan, working as a
technical writer/editor/translator, 1/2 time at a medical foundation and
1/2 time free-lance. I have an MA in German literature and also speak a lot
of and write some Mandarin Chinese. Interests include computers (all
kinds but LOVE mac), music (especially Stravinsky and Tom Waits), movies
(though NOT star trek), and hiking.

On to my question. The head of our foundation, Prof. Julia J. Tsuei, has
been asked by someone associated with an American medical school to write
a series of textbooks on the type of medicine she has been researching for
10 years (an alternative practice called the electrodermal screening test,
EDST, which combines elements of acupuncture theory, bio-energetics and
homeopathy). We need to put together a proposal for the level 1 textbook
and teachers manual. We are fairly clear on how to structure the books.
What we don't know is how to charge. We do wish to retain rights to the
books and receive part of our fees up front and part as royalties, but we
do not know how much to ask all together and in what preportions. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Feel free to email me back directly at
cpc -at- transend -dot- com -dot- tw -dot- Thank you!

Christopher Chalfant

THE FOUNDATION AND CLINIC FOR EAST-WEST MEDICINE
No. 6-1, Lane 343, Sec. 2, Shihpai Rd., Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Phone: 886-2/873-2125, fax: 886-2/874-1642, cpc -at- transend -dot- com -dot- tw