Re: To Dialog or Not To Dialog

Subject: Re: To Dialog or Not To Dialog
From: Steve Delanghe <zulu -at- CIX -dot- COMPULINK -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 11:51:28 GMT

> I bet we all know a few people who still refer to the hard disk
> as "memory."... It's a clear case of being taught
> the incorrect term

I don't think you can say what is correct or incorrect unless you're
talking about a proprietary product.

Windows are different from dialog boxes, but "memory" is just as
acceptable as "hard disk" or "file" (the term used by employees of
Xyratex - ex-IBM UK hard disk manufacturer). IME, many people have very
little idea about the terms used for familiar things in other industries,
in other environments, and in other places, and assume that their own
terms are "obvious" or "standard". This applies as much to technical
authors as to any other group.

Steve
School of Architecture, Portsmouth University, UK
zulu -at- cix -dot- compulink -dot- co -dot- uk