Re: Word 6.0 Master Document Page Numbers

Subject: Re: Word 6.0 Master Document Page Numbers
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 23:13:00 PDT

At 02:01 PM 4/8/96 -0500, Mary D. Lee wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm new to Email and this is my first message to the tech writers, so please
>be patient.

>I'm writing a user guide in Word 6.0. Each chapter is a subdocument in a
>master document. This is the first time I've tried a master document. I'm
>forced to do it now in order to have a maintainable index. Here's my
>problem. Every once in a while, word uses a roman numeral for the page
>number rather than the appropriate chapter number and page number. Usually,
>this appears on the odd page between chapters, but sometimes it happens on
>the last page of a chapter.
====================================
Word is just doing what you told it to do. Somewhere in the master
document, you told it to use roman numerals. Every time it sees a few lines
between subdocuments, it diligently numbers that page with a roman numeral.

If you want to control page numbers within the subdocuments, then you're
going to have to turn off the roman numerals in the master document at the
appropriate place. Then, put *all* of the rest of the chapter text into a
subdocument.
=======================================
>Also, near the end of the user guide, the blank
>odd pages are printing portrait rather than the established landscape
>format.
============================
Go to the first instance of Word printing portrait and be sure there is an
ending tag as well as a beginning tag. Also, to successfully change from
portrait to landscape and back again in the same document, you must put all
of one sort in one document. That means that if you want to use a portrait
page in the midst of your landscape pages, the portrait page needs to be in
a subdocument by itself. If you don't call for page numbers on that
portrait page, it should get the current pagination OK.
==============================
> If I print preview the page number sometimes appears correctly, but
>still prints the roman numberal.
==========================
Anyone who uses numberals can't be all bad. <grin>
======================
>I've used Word's automatically numbered chapters in order to have chapter
>numbers in my TOC and Index.

>Any ideas on how to make this work as it should or will I be forced to
>jerry-rig it?

>Thanks for your help.

>Mary
Good luck. Marilynne