"caller ID" feature for email messages?

Subject: "caller ID" feature for email messages?
From: Mark I Halpern <Mark_Halpern -at- SMTPGATE -dot- TESSERACT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 14:49:19 PST

Colleagues,

I have been living under a rock on Mars for the last few years, so
forgive me if I don't seem to be getting it -- but isn't it impossible
for a message poster to hide his return address, except by going to
such lengths as to send it to a message re-poster, who can strip the
message of the information that identifies its origin before
forwarding it? Failing such strenuous measures, how does one hide
one's return address?

The opportunities that email offers for misunderstandings and
flames, combining as it does the shoot-from-the-hip spontaneity of
phone calls with the you're-on-record permanence of a letter, are
already mind-boggling; when you add the mischief-making
let's-you-and-him-fight-possibilities of anonymity to it, you have the
makings of World War III. Isn't there some way, short of the party
pooping measure of sending every message back to its putative author
for confirmation before posting it, to ensure that a message comes
from where it purports to come from?

Mark

mark_halpern -at- tesseract -dot- com