Re[2]: A Preponderance of Females

Subject: Re[2]: A Preponderance of Females
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:59:13 EST

It's funny you should say that, Matt, as that was exactly the thought I had
when this subject came up. I started in tech writing in Atlanta, in 1984. I
figured, at that time, that salaries were decent because the job of doing the
writing used to belong to engineers, who tended to be male and well-paid.

I'm still fairly happy with the salary I receive, but I've definitely noticed
that the market in this area (Knoxville/Oak Ridge, TN), tends to run to
government and editing, employs a preponderance of females, and doesn't pay all
that well, unless you get into management. By the way, the job I currently hold
used to be held by a male, so perhaps I can thank my salary range for that!

Of course, one could argue that wages are dropping everywhere, but I thought
knowledge workers (like us) were supposed to have a running start. Then I guess
you could argue that there are more tech communicators out there, now, so that
the salary thing is a result of supply and demand..I don't know that one can
establish a cause-effect type relationship...

Karla McMaster, technical writer (and female)
CTI PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com

I heard someone say (not me, someone else) that wages for technical writers
have been declining as a result of more women in the profession.

I am happy with my current compensation, so I'm not complaining, just curious.
Matt Danda