Re: Another internet copyright question

Subject: Re: Another internet copyright question
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:54:29 HST

To paraphrase a paragraph from a magazine column I read a few years ago:
'I have a web site on which copies of my older columns are available. I don't
object to people putting links to my page on their own page. But I would be
extremely upset if they did so and I found their web page to be something I
find repugnant, e.g., a hate page, pornography, advocating abuse of women or
children, etc. I would be especially upset if they did it in such a way as to
make my column appear to be part of their page, rather than linking to my page.'

Due to the potential for ruining someone's reputation, I would think slander
and libel issues deserve some consideration, too. What's that US civil rights
warning -- "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of
law"?

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

Date: 04/11/96 09:46:00 AM

I don't know why anyone would want to quote someone without talking to them
about the specific quote first. Even investigative newspaper jounalists
call to confirm quotes before using them (generally just before
publication, to prevent any attempts to forestall it). If the quote is
real, and isn't going to be used out of context, there'll most likely be no
problem in using it. (For my part, I've been contacted several times for
permission to use pieces of my posts in other arenas. I've never turned the
request down, nor demanded royalties. This is not to say I'll always agree,
but I can't envision very many circumstances under which I wouldn't.)<