Re: jobs, jobs, work, etc.

Subject: Re: jobs, jobs, work, etc.
From: Jack Shaw <jsh -at- SOFTWARE-AG -dot- DE>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 16:21:35 -0700

With the number of queries being made to TECHWR-L about
jobs, I thought I'd mention the following two:

Online Career Center (OCC) at http://www.occ.com/occ/Jobs.html,
where you can search by state, city or field of endeavo(u)r, etc.
The jobs are listed in descending order by date of posting. You
can also submit a resume.

The Monster at http://www.monster.com, which lets you pick a
state-city, job type (ENG-technical writing, for example), and
view the job description. You can even apply for the job online.

The OCC has been around for quite a while (was a major gopher
site...). I believe the Monster is relatively gnu...

Here's an example I called up from OCC for the Research Triangle
Swamp area (I used to live in NC, so no one can tell me...):
******************

Job Title: Technical Writer

Number needed: (1)

Visa Status: US Citizens or Green Card Status

Experience: Bookmaster/Bookmanager
HTML
VM/XEDIT
Salary: 1 year+ contract - $22/hr

Education: open

Location: Research Triangle Park, North Carolina

Apply Via Fax or Email.

FAX: 1-210-614-7085
email: ntsrec -at- ntstech -dot- com

POC: DAN SCOCCA
NTS Technical Services
Durham, North Carolina
1-800-306-3660
www.ntstech.com

XNTSXSAN

************************

...and another from the Monster board for tech. writers in Minneapolis
(where I'm from...far from. Mosquitos with eight cylinders and catalytic
converters that have to get tower clearance just to land...uh-uh. But
good people in abundance...):

************************

Job # 2-45313

Graco

Minneapolis, MN

USA

Technical Writer

A progressive Twin Cities manufacturer of fluid handling
equipment, has an excellent opportunity available for an
experienced Technical Writer.

This position works closely with our new product development
teams, researching and writing manuals for the installation,
operation, and repair of various industrial pumps, sprayers
and accessories.

Qualifications include a degree (technical or
communications) plus 3-4 years' demonstrated
technical/mechanical instruction manual writing for
industrial products. Proven experience with desktop
publishing (preferably Interleaf) is required.

We offer competitive compensation and benefits. For
immediate consideration, send resume with salary
requirements to: Graco Inc., Attn: Kathy Hull, 60 11th
Avenue NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413.

When submitting your resume, please
refer to The Monster Board!

*******************

and believe me, fluid-handling equipment is easy to document
in Minneapolis and environs, because all fluid is solid six months
of the year. To handle it, you just need chopper (Minnesotans
know what those are...) mittens!

What I don't care for on the OCC jobs thingie is, it won't let you
do a search on a state or city AND a job type. For example, you can
specify a keyword search on "technical writer or editor" OR a search
on East Overshoe, Nebr., but not both. At least, I haven't fingered
how to do it, but then I need thumb tabs in the worst way...

Thumbs in Darmstadt