Re: headhunters from anywhere

Subject: Re: headhunters from anywhere
From: Mary Drobnis <drobnis -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 19:16:18 EDT

Gretchen:

You wrote:

> How *can* a student locate information on headhunters
besides the yellow pages?

Being a contractor, I've had a *lot* of experience in finding work, and that includes finding and working with the best agencies. I used to hate dealing with "headhunters," but now as a contractor I much prefer having someone pay me on a regular basis, run interference with an employer when necessary, take care of paying the IRS so I don't have to file quarterlies, and manage a 401 (K) for me.

Here are my suggestions for finding a good agency:

*Ask other writers who they use (and who they like)

*Try to find agencies that specialize in placing tech writers (I can give you the names of two in the Boston area)

*Go to STC meetings or other computer society meetings. Often headhunters attend these looking for warm bodies (kind of like the lawyers who hang out in the orthopedic ward at the hospital):>

*Check the help wanted section for an upcoming *agency* job fair event. I went to one of these last year for agencies that hire temporary technical employees, and I'm still getting calls. I wish I could remember the name of the organization that sponsored it - something like National Technical Recruiters Society, or ??? Does anyone out there know the one I'm talking about?

How do you know a good agency when you see one? My observations:

*One that specializes in placing technical writers. These people know the business and most of the documentation managers (probably because they placed *them* in their current jobs...)

*For contractors, one that pays you every week (or at least pays you...)

*One that calls you back, and checks in with you from time to time.

*One that has a good reputation with other writers and documentation managers. I have heard a manager say s/he likes to work with this or that agency exclusively because they always send good people.

*Again, for contractors, one that seems to have a steady supply of work.

Hope this helps, and good luck :>

Mary Drobnis
Sr. Technical Writing Consultant
Concord, MA