Re: Internet Assistant

Subject: Re: Internet Assistant
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 07:18:00 -0600

Does anyone know about Microsoft's Internet Assistant? I've been
evaluating it w/ Word for Win 3.1, and it seems to be "just okay" so
far, but doesn't seem to support the newer html tags ...

"Just OK" is probably overstating it. ;{>} I've used it in the past, and will
continue to use it in the future, to give me a starting point for the creation
of a web page from a Word document. That's about all it's good for. It can give
you the basics of a web page quickly, which you can then change into a *real*
web page. But I'd never consider creating a page in it from scratch. There's too
much HTML that it doesn't know about.

What is the relationship between the Microsoft's Internet Assistant
and Microsoft's FrontPage?

They're sold by the same company. :{>} IA was developed in-house, FP was
purchased from another company..

I haven't evaluated FP, either. (Like all MS tools, they'll wait until they can
build its position on Windows before thinking about porting it to the Mac. If it
becomes known as the best HTML tool, they'll never port it; if it only becomes a
good one, they'll port it in a year or two.) But I've heard some good things
about, though PageMill still seems to be the easiest to learn and use. (And,
unlike MS, they don't have a platform axe to grind, so the Windows version
should be ready soon -- if it's not shipping already.)

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net