Tabs, pages, and ambiguity

Subject: Tabs, pages, and ambiguity
From: Ron Rothbart <ron -dot- rothbart -at- DOCUMENTUM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:13:50 +0800

Concerning the things in tabbed dialogs, Susan Self writes:

>I prefer using the term "page" rather than "folder."

My 2 cents:
I use the term "card," rather than page because the things look like index
cards to me. You click the Routing tab to display the Routing card. Then you
fill in the card. "Page" sounds like a unit of a document to me.

However, from what I hear around me, I'm afraid that "tab" may catch on to
refer to both my tab and my card, creating ambiguity and maybe even forcing
me to change my manuals (horrors!). But such ambiguity is unavoidable. What
people call things is beyond our control. "File" in the old paper world
meant something like folder, but in the computer world it has come to mean
something like document. So, will the real "file" please stand up? The world
turns, and so does language.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net