Re: Value added

Subject: Re: Value added
From: John Russell <JRussell -at- DATAWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 12:27:00 EDT

>. I know you mentioned an article in Tech. Com. from 1/95. Are you aware
>. that the entire issue is devoted to value-added? There are several
other
>. good articles including:
>.
>. Denise Pieratti "How the Process and Organization Can Help or Hinder
>. Adding Value."
>.
>. Janice Redish "Adding Value as a Professional Technical Communicator"

Has anyone out there actually attempted to *implement* some of these very
practical processes in their organization? And to what degree of success?

I recently passed the "How the Process and Organization ... " artical to the
Director of Development at my company. She hasn't read it yet, but I
summarized it to her this morning. I mentioned that in the third scenario,
the developer to documenter ratio was actually 3-1.

I'm looking for more articles of this nature, primarily to encourage that
technical writers be involved in product development from the pre-design
specification stage *through* design specification development, and
(obviously) through product development. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

But I'm also wondering if anyone out there has been successful at actually
implementing some of the ideas presented in the 1/95 issue of the Tech. Com.

--

kjr
jrussell -at- dataware -dot- com

K. John Russell Anagram of the year:
Dataware Technologies, Inc
5 Computer Drive South Information Superhighway
Albany, New York 12205 New utopia? Horrifying Sham!

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net