Re: Websites

Subject: Re: Websites
From: Victor Chapel <victor -at- TRCINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:16:28 -0400

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer writes:
> 1. It won't let users go outside to play.
> 2. It won't let anybody else come in.

Sounds like you want an "intranet."

Internal use only, no outside access.

The internal use is easy, just set up a server that is
only physically connected to your Local Area Network.
No outside lines = no access in from the outside.

> (Sounds like the users are latchkey children, huh?)

Worse, it sounds like your company doesn't believe
it hires trustworthy employees.

As for restricting WWW access, that's impossible to
control since a account, browser, modem, and phone line
gives anyone with a computer access to the Internet.

As an aside, I would be seriously hindered if I couldn't
use the Internet for research. The online resources are
almost unlimited. Sure it gets abused a little. But
the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

Send your bosses my way if they want an example of a
company that gives all employees full intranet and
Internet access. It's an indispensable a relatively
inexpensive business tool.

Victor Chapel victorc -at- trcinc -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net