Re: Philosophy: the Aim of Technical Comms?

Subject: Re: Philosophy: the Aim of Technical Comms?
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 22:25:44 -0700

>From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
>Subject: Philosophy: the Aim of Technical Comms?

>Is this a fair summary of the best approach to technical communication,
>including tech writing and user interface design:

> "the greatest good of the greatest number"

>How else do you decide what to put in and what to leave out?

Good question. My immediate response was, Yes, that's the *advertised*
rule--but that the *real* rule for all too many people (including me if I
don't pay attention) use for deciding what to leave in and what to take out is

"Works for me."

Human nature I guess.
John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)
The Bill of Rights -- The ORIGINAL Contract with America
Beware of Imitations. Accept No Substitutes. Insist on the Genuine Articles.
(t shirts with the above saying available, send e-mail for info)

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net