Re: Indexes for Discussion Lists (such as this)

Subject: Re: Indexes for Discussion Lists (such as this)
From: Brad Connatser <concom -at- USIT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 19:14:17 GMT

In article <199604300514 -dot- WAA01383 -at- newmail -dot- pacifier -dot- com>, John Gear
<catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com> wrote:

>Is there a way to provide useful subject lines for people to use on
> their messages without getting into some kind of anal-retentive control
> thing? I get several lists in digest form and am always struck by how
> useless most subject lines are (my own posts included, no doubt).

Only a handful of times has a subject line been useless to me in this
newsgroup, so I find the reformation rhetoric entirely unnecessary, which
brings me to a greater context. All the lofty ideas for reforming this
group--including installing a moderator, discouraging off-topic posts, and
instituting a list of permissible subject lines--seem misguided to me.
This group works beautiflly. The opinions are diverse, which, if you
follow Emerson, is a prerequisite for learning. Most of those who post and
reply to posts are gracious and sincere in their helping others. The
quality of information is exceedingly high--from the frontline in our
profession. Sure, the newsgroup can get messy at times, like life, and
sometimes a commotion of bickering breaks out, like life, and sometimes we
digress, like life. . . . But changes that make this newsgroup less
vibrant and more mediated move us in the wrong direction.

Brad

--
Brad Connatser
Concurrent Communications