Indexing multiple documents

Subject: Indexing multiple documents
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 09:09:52 EDT

Dick, Susan, and Angela -- In case you're wondering why I didn't respond to your
postings about indexing last week, I must confess that I was preoccupied ...
preparing for and attending the ASI (American Society of Indexers) annual
conference in Denver last week. BTW, I think y'all would have been proud of my
presentation, which described the myriad responsibilities and priorities facing
technical writers whose managers expect them to be proficient in indexing as
well as a gazillion other skills.

Dick -- You certainly do have a challenge in creating indexes for similar
documents with slightly different wording. Your proposed solution (opening the
three docs in separate windows and creating index tags for each) is a good idea
*if* you don't have to worry about being interrupted or distracted during that
process.

Susan -- Thanks for suggesting the "mousing" aspect in this solution and an
extra-big thanks for explaining the difference between an index and a
concordance. I'm sooooooo proud of you for responding to an indexing question
while I was away from TEHCWR-L temporarily. ;-)

Angela -- Thanks for promoting the fact that technical writers can (and should)
create quality indexes for the documentation they develop.

All -- I guess the cat is out of the bag! I must admit ... I *do* search for
"index" in my TECHWR-L digests. BTW, if any of you are interested in the
one-day workshop I'll be delivering in Connecticut on 6/21 -- Indexing Skills
Workshop for Technical Communicators -- please let me know, and I'll send you a
flyer.

TTFN .... Lori
Lori Lathrop ----------> INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Lathrop Media Services, P.O. Box 3065, Idaho Springs, CO 80452
Office: 303-567=4447, ext. 28 / Fax: 303-567-9306
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net