Re: Using Humor Judiciously

Subject: Re: Using Humor Judiciously
From: Sue Heim <sue -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 12:19:56 PST

Eric wanted to know:
> I'd be interested in hearing comments from anyone
> about judicious use of humor in documentation
> or books. <snip>
> I know I'd rather have some humor in a book I
> buy, but wouldn't want it in the "documentation"
> for a product. What do the rest of you think?

I absolutely hate humor in documentation for software and/or hardware
products. Even tho I write manuals for a living, I still want to be
able to pick up someone else's manual and find what I want without
having to wade thru "funnies." I think humor has a place in the
"dummies" books, as Eric stated, especially if it can make a
hard-to-learn topic more fun. Otherwise... ugh! Of course, this is
only my personal preference (I always feel as if I'm being "talked
down to" when I read user docs with lots of humor or cartoons in
'em)...

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net