Re: Estimating/Budgeting

Subject: Re: Estimating/Budgeting
From: Averil Strauss <averil -at- LEGENDCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 12:10:10 -0400

>I am trying to estimate/budget time required for doing online documentation
>and paper manuals.

>Please, will you share your rules of thumb and lessons learned?

>Thanks!

>Bill Marshall
>marshallw -at- bv -dot- com

I am replying to the list as my most important lesson/tip seems frequently
ignored.

ALWAYS try to break down the task into increments. Ideally, the increments
should be sections such that if your customer/boss decides on having you do
more (almost inevitable) you can point out that this is an addition and more
money/time/supplies are required.

Years ago I bid a job in that way for a catalogue of software. The initial
job was described as having 40 programs to test and describe. By the time of
publication of the first edition, there were about 125 and I was thanking my
lucky stars for a suspicious nature.

Averil
Legend Communications, Inc.
Makers of PostScript Software