Re: (null)

Subject: Re: (null)
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 20:22:10 -0800

On Fri, 31 May 1996 17:29:29 -0400, Nancy Paisner wrote:

>> Next Friday (June 7, 1996) my colleagues and I have the pleasure of
>> meeting with three (count em three) Usability Group Project Managers
>> from Microsoft. We will be discussing the good and not so good aspects
>> of Word.
>>

>My biggest problem with Word is its inadequacies in handling large,
>multi-chapter documents. We write mostly multi-chapter/appendix
>documents, and we number the pages by chapter, e.g. the pages in
>Chapter 4 all have the string '4-' pre-pended to the page # within the
>chapter. To set this up in Frame or Interleaf is trivial, to set it up
>in Word is a complete nuisance. That's because Frame and Interleaf
>have fully incorporated the concept of a 'book', while Word's 'master
>document paradigm is really limited. I use Word regularly to write
>short documents, but I would never consider using it for complex
>documents unless I was forced to.

I haven't done anything particularly "huge" with it, but DeScribe has
handled this type of document fairly well for me. Might want to check
it out - $49 will get you the "Voyager" CD that includes Win16, Win32
(NT and 95) and the original OS/2 versions. Very nice frame-based word
processor, includes GOBS of graphic and w.p. (including Word)
import/export filters. The only limitation at that price is no
"official" tech support, but the online help and manual are excellent.

BTW, using it on a multithreaded system (OS/2 or NT) gives added
special perks, like totally transparent background auto-save and print
(never a moment's hourglass, even when printing 500+ pages :)

Your friend and mine,
Matt
"Maybe all I need, besides my pills and surgery,
is a new metaphor for... reality." -- Queensryche

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Next Level
Productions, or anyone else of sound mind from this planet or dimension!

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net