Re: How to get FrameMaker, RoboHELP experience?

Subject: Re: How to get FrameMaker, RoboHELP experience?
From: "Julie A. E. Tholen" <tholeja -at- ANUBIS -dot- NETWORK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 09:26:26 CDT

Chas.Beck writes:

It has become apparent to me that, of all the software tools out there, two
of them that are most in demand by employers (and most often endorsed by
many of you on this list as being _really valuable tools_) are FrameMaker
and RoboHELP.

My problem is this: As a grad student, I am not independently wealthy, as
you may well imagine. I would very much like to get some experience with
both of these tools, but I cannot afford to buy them (at $895 and $499,
respectively, how many people *can*?). The university I attend does not have
either of them in any of their computer labs. My internship employer does
not have them on their system. So, how am I to get any experience with them?

Anybody have any suggestions?

****** Suggestion #1 ********

Volunteer. Most cities have a volunteer resource center/hotline, and some
newspapers carry "You Can Help" columns. Many of the organizations have
a variety of tools. I volunteered for a wildlife refuge that had Pagemaker
and Windows (I've worked in a UNIX/Frame environment for the last 3 years).
Besides gaining experience it is a great way to networking and meet people.

****** Suggestion #2 *********

Join professional societies such as STC, ISPI, ASTD, ASQC - there are lots of
contractors/consultants who welcome an extra pair of hands on bigger projects.
The pay may/may not be there, but you get hands on experience and something else
to put on your rez.

****** Suggestion #3 *********

Check out libraries, copy centers like Kinko's, - sometimes they have apps on
their public machinces.

****** Suggestion #4 *********
Computer user weeklies - there are always special interest groups for specific
applications.

Hope this primes the pump!

Good Luck!

Jules "Life is short. Eat dessert first"
(J.A.E. Tholen) Network Systems Corporation
612.391.1354 7600 Boone Avenue North
tholeja -at- anubis -dot- network -dot- com Minneapolis, MN 55428

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net