social sciences & writing

Subject: social sciences & writing
From: Thom Remington <remingtf -at- ENGG-MAIL -dot- LVS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 13:08:40 -0400

OK. It's out. Me too. AB degree in sociology, MS in clinical psychology.

Quick observations (2 @ $0.02, = $0.04):

* When I was an undergrad, I remember trying to plow through a textbook
written by someone who was considered a leading light in the sociology biz.
Absolutely unreadable! Couldn't get through any of it. At the time, I
thought it was my deficiency, but I've come to realize that the fellow just
couldn't write clearly.

* Regardless of the profession, there are many scholars and practitioners
who can't write, and there are some who can. I *do* have to wonder if the
ones who can't write also have similar difficulty in _thinking_ clearly. It
seems to me that the two are inextricably linked.....
Thom Remington remingtf -at- engg -dot- dnet -dot- dupont -dot- com
DuPont External Affairs
Information Design & Development
http://www.dupont.com
http://www.concentric.net/~remingtf