Re: Lament

Subject: Re: Lament
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:04:25 HST

>Why is it that these high-tech companies posted job listings for programmers,
engineers, UNIX support, etc. but "forgot" to post tech writer positions? All of
the hot prospects I have were with companies that didn't post the openning.<

I've noticed this in the job listings published by ComputerWorld. Tons of
"technical" jobs, never a tech writing job ... I guess it goes back to a basic
fact. To create a software product in the first place, you must have
programmers, analysts, engineers, and techies. You *don't* have to have a tech
writer in order to create the product.
Don't get me wrong -- tech writers can make a big difference in the design,
development, tech support, and marketing side of things. But a lot of technical
folk, particularly engineers turned project managers, have tunnel vision when
it comes to anything outside of getting the product done. We need to apply our
expertise in communication to the task of educating such people!

Sorry, suffering a sleep shortage. No offense intended to any programmers,
analysts, engineers or other technical staff (some of my best friends are
programmers! <G>)

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net