Re: Checkered Graphics - Summary

Subject: Re: Checkered Graphics - Summary
From: Carla Lotito <lotitoc -at- BERCLAIN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:14:49 -0400

Thanks to all for your replies! (Lea Wolsel, Catherine McNair, Marc
Lederman, David Castro, Robert Plamondon, Karen Mayer, Virginia Lawrence,
Steve Evanina). It saved me a *LOT* of time.

I have not attached names to the responses since many of these were not
posted to the list. Quotation marks have been placed on responses that I
have not paraphrased.

The methods I chose: I have changed my windows colors and it works quite
well. I am doing separate captures for color and retouching when necessary
(since there will be less color captures, there will be less retouching to
do - even if my users don't care, I care).

SUMMARY OF RESPONSES

What to do if you get checkered graphics (or in a Moire pattern):

A. "LIVE WITH IT." There are many manuals with this kind of
problem. Stop being a perfectionist. Do your users really care?

B. CHANGE STANDARD WINDOWS COLORS.
"Go into Settings, Control Panel, Display, then select the
Appearance tab.

1. From the Scheme drop-down list box,select High Contrast
White. (It will look ugly, but only temporarily.)

2. From the Item drop-down list box, select 3D Objects.

3. From the Color drop-down palette to the right of the Item
list box, select the ligher shade of gray. This will change
your 3D Objects to gray.

4. Choose the Save As button, then save the new color scheme
under a name such as "Win95 Screen Capture Colors."

If you already have your application open (the one you want
to capture screens from), you will probably have to exit
and restart for the new colors to take effect. "

C. GET PRINTER CREATIVE
"Select the Linotronic 330 print driver instead of the HPIV
print driver. Use the default graphics resolution of 1235
dpi. The graphics print out much better. You may
occasionally get print errors, but these are reduced
Postscript fonts are used. Once in a while the printer
decides to print all the Postscript code as ASCIItext
instead of interpreting it, but if you cancel the print
job quickly,that's not too serious. On the next try it
inevitably prints properly."

D. CHANGE GRAPHICS MANUALLY
Use Paint Shop Pro or Powerpoint and change each graphic
manually.

E. CHANGE SCREEN CAPTURE PROGRAM
It may be the screen capture program you're using. Change
it if it is the culprit.

F. FIND A WAY NOT TO RESIZE GRAPHICS.
This may solve the checker problem.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net