Antonyms for hyperbole

Subject: Antonyms for hyperbole
From: Karen Otto <KAREN_OTTO -at- HP-SPOKANE-OM2 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 09:24:41 -0600

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
After reading both a request for a summary of responses, and a request
to stop this thread, I have chosen to post a list of responses. I feel
that enough people were sufficiently interested to warrant this. If
there had been very few responses, and very many 'off-topic' comments,
I would not post this message.

I posted the request for a colleague who was searching for a word. It
is not going into any manual that I know of. (We don't often discuss
hyperbole in user guides)

'Meiosis' is the word my colleague way trying to remember (thanks,
David)

'Understatement' was the most popular response.

Others:
softsell fact hypobole
honest truth reality gross understatement
not! drivel self-effacement
conservative penury dull
understated litotes meiosis
dull mil-spec lackluster