Re: Inventing words unnecess -Reply

Subject: Re: Inventing words unnecess -Reply
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:04:01 -0600

Hi everybody,

One of the reasons we have the largest and most descriptive
language is because, unlike the French, we have no language
police. If another culture has a word we like, we don't
hesitate to grab it. If we need a word to fit a particular
situation, we invent one--Shakespeare being the greatest
word inventor of all. An important part of my research is
how language (particularly metaphorical language) is
evolving in the face of new communicative demands. So don't
quit inventing or I might be out of a job.

I absolutely agree with those who are irritated by the
pointless invention of new words--particularly when these
words are self-consciously designed to bring attention to
their authors. On the other hand, we shouldn't forget that
invention is an important part of what makes our language so
wonderful.

New word of the day -- digiphobe: a writer that insists on
writing books with those yellow sticks that writers use to
create hard copy on yellow paper.

In use: The digigeek from Computer Science hated having to
explain his
software to the digiphobes of the Humanities
College. 8<)

Dave Hailey
Here at USU (supposed to be working)

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net