Re: Proliferation of Awful Web Pages

Subject: Re: Proliferation of Awful Web Pages
From: Sabahat Iqbal Ashraf <ashrafs -at- RPI -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 21:29:27 -0400

On Jun 8, 9:06pm, Ed Hawco wrote:

> You raise some very good points about technological proliferation, Sabahat,
> but since this is a Technical Communicator's forum, I don't think it is
> unreasonable or "anti-proliferation" to comment on the quality of the
material
> being proliferated. Especially since, as you said, this a field in which we
> work.

> By way of simile, if "The Economist" laments the poor quality of
contestants
> in an election that should not be seen as an argument against democracy.

My point exactly. I apologize if my post sounded as if it was calling the
initial post anti-proliferation. I just wanted to say that one very obvious
reason -- or one very down-to-earth expression of the basic reason -- was
missing from the list.

And to extend your simile, what the article leaves out is that there are so
many contestants that good ones are hard to find -- or don't bother to enter
politics. And that anyone that is half sincere (or looks it) has very good
chances.

As I said before, please "don't get the idea I am knocking the American
system."

Sabahat.

--
2209 15th Street ashrafs -at- rpi -dot- edu
Troy, NY 12180 www.rpi.edu/~ashrafs

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net