Re: Word weirdness

Subject: Re: Word weirdness
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:14:35 EST

Somebody whose name has been lost wrote:

>Another question: when modifying multiple files that are joined using the
>includetext feature; is there an easy way to make modifications? <a bunch of
Word woes snipped>

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET> wrote:

Righty-oh. You might want to drop the includetext field and go to master
document. It's not bulletproof either, but it's pretty reliable up to a
couple of hundred pages or so. Or, if the docs are short enough, just import
'em all into one doc. The resulting file is bigger but changes are much
easier to do.

*******
I write:

As Alex Trebek says, "Oh, noooooo, I am sorry, that is incorrect." (That works
better with actual sound. Oh, well.)

Master docs are not only not bulletproof, they are bullet magnets. I have
bitter experience with this, as do many habitues of the Word-PC list. Master
docs are marked by frequent TOC and X-ref corruptions, not to mention problems
with standardizing subdocs. They have other problems, too. Believe me, the
aforementioned glitches are enough to stretch what should be a two-hour job to
eight glorious, fun-filled hours.

Much better to import all subdocs to one doc, if that's at all possible. That
creates problems for updates to the individual subdocs, though. No solution is
perfect.

In any case, I recommend that this whole discussion be moved to the word-pc
list. Or you could just search for solutions via Deja News
(http://www.dejanews.com). I've found that to be very useful.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)