Re: Describing branches

Subject: Re: Describing branches
From: Bob Morse <morse -at- GLOBALDIALOG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:12:15 -0500

Tim Altom sez:
>Does anyone out there have other clever ways to lead the user through
>functional branching? I've sought better ways in the Journal and in
>textbooks, but we've yet to find anything that isn't just a refinement of
>these two basic approaches.

Can't say that I've seen any other noteworthy alternatives in paper docs,
but on-line hypertext docs (*.HLP or HTML) are ideal for this. With hypertext
you can zoom back and forth along all of the permutated branches to different
procedural steps, or to different levels of detail.
On paper I've always been fond of the branch diagram (I call 'em "menu
maps"), accompanied by linear presentation for common/routine tasks, and
jump-to notes for the rest (e.g., "See 'How To Print a Receivables Report'
in the next chapter for more information about this option.")

Bob Morse : morse -at- globaldialog -dot- com : Badger SoftWerks : Mt. Horeb, Wisc.
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net