Instructional-Performance Design Approaches to Documentation

Subject: Instructional-Performance Design Approaches to Documentation
From: Bill Burns <wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:11:25 -0600

Over the last year, the group I now supervise (which originally consisted of
only me) has been developing a documentation approach that follows the
instructional-design model published in *The Standards* (Foshay, Silber &
Westgaard, 1986, p. 3). Roughly described, the process consists of a needs
assessment, a learner assessment, a work-environment evaluation, job-task
analyses, development of performance objectives and task descriptions, and an
end-user evaluation respectively.

My questions to the list are

1. Have any of you used this approach or a similar method (or know of
someone who has)?

2. What are the advantages and drawbacks that you have noticed?

3. What sources would you suggest for developing this approach further?

I will be developing a course on end-user documentation for our company's
manufacturing writers (many who have come directly from the production floor),
and I'd like to include a basic instructional-design component. I appreciate
any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Bill Burns
Assembly Training and Documentation Supervisor
WBURNS -at- MICRON -dot- COM

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net