Re: "Kill" fees in contracts?

Subject: Re: "Kill" fees in contracts?
From: Jim Grey <jimgrey -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:36:00 EST

Gail Bergan <gbergan -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM> asks:
>Has anyone had any success at getting companies to accept kill fees as
>part of the contract? What percentage of the contract is customary?
>How do you go about enforcing it if you need to?

During my brief publishing stint, I regularly wrote contracts that arranged
to pay freelancers for the portion of the work they completed in case the
project died before completion. Perhaps you could work out something
similar in your contracts, based either on work completed or time. For
example, if a job were to last six months, and it was cancelled after four
months, such a contract would pay you two-thirds the agreed rate.

Peace,
jim
--
jim grey |"Ain't nothin' better in the world, you know
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net|Than lyin' in the sun, listenin' to the radio!"
|http://www.iquest.net/~jimgrey/

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net