Re: Quality problem with a contractor

Subject: Re: Quality problem with a contractor
From: Jeffrey Pittman <jpittman -at- XWS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 20:16:27 -0700

>I don't think you're saying what you mean here. I'm a freelance technical
>writer, and I'm a contractor. My clients and I sign a contract describing
>the terms of our agreement. I am not their employee.--RM

IMHO, a contractor works at the contracting company's job site.
I do not. A contractor frequently uses the services of a
'head hunter'. I do not. Yes, my clients do sign a contract
with Stormy Weather, but the payment of the contracted-for work
is clearly defined as being due when the work is acceptable, and
not before. These are *my* terms, not theirs. However, I must
say that I work in a rural area, and I have known my clients for
years. And, I always schedule an on-going payment plan. When 25
percent of a project is completed and accepted, 25 percent of
the total bill is due. Because of this, I charge by the page,
not by the hour. My page rates are based on two hours for creation,
and one hour for revision, but they do not know that. I am not a
contractor, I am the owner of my own company.
Jeffrey A. Pittman
Stormy Weather Consultants
YOUR THOUGHTS,
DREAMS,