Re: It's and its

Subject: Re: It's and its
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:45:25 -0800

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:17:56 -0700, Angela wrote:

>I'll have to pay more attention in the future, I hadn't noticed that one yet.
>But the biggie that gets me is the improper use of ^it's^.

>An ^it^ can never own anything, so it can't own an apostrophe. It only gets
>an ^its^, unless it's a contraction of ^it is^.

Angela, it's not "it(')s" specifically that people have the problem
with, it's the whole apostrophe-s thing. It seems that more and more,
an 's' is not allowed to exist at the end of a word without being
broken loose by an apostrophe.

I'm seeing more and more example's[sic] in publication's[sic] and
advertising these day's[sic]... a muffler/brake/autoglass shop
who's[sic] busstop and billboard ad's[sic] proclaim, "THREE PRO'S, ONE
SHORTSTOP"... or a restaurants[sic] promotion that begin's[sic],
"KID'S... Ask your server about..."

Your friend and mine,
Matt