Re: OpenDoc

Subject: Re: OpenDoc
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:43:03 -0800

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996 11:23:00 -0600, Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM wrote:

>Basic info about it is at http://www.opendoc.apple.com and you'll find an
>E-zine at http://www.partmerchant.com/odz/default.html devoted to it. (Part
>Merchant is aiming to be a big distributor of OD parts.)

There's also some good info at "Club OpenDoc's" web page at
http://www.software.ibm.com/clubopendoc/index.html (IBM being one of
the major forces behind OpenDoc). This is where OpenDoc 1.0 for OS/2
and AIX are already available, and where you'll find the beta for the
Windows version when it becomes available.

>At its most primitive level, it's like OLE.

OLE is actually something of a subset of OpenDoc; MS is aiming to take
on the OpenDoc idea with paste-on kludges like NetOLE, but are missing
the whole underlying concept. Hence, OpenDoc for Windows is coming
from IBM and not MS. :-)

>Will it happen? I don't know. But it looks promising.

It does indeed. It's a little painful right now on my admittedly
under-powered machine, but the concept is fantastic.

Your friend and mine,
Matt