British English Dictioinaries

Subject: British English Dictioinaries
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 22:31:43 -0400

Stan Radomski asks:
>This question is really for all my colleagues across the puddle (and those
>to the north and down under may also have some valid information)...

>What dictionaries do you use other than the OED? I believe there is also
>a Concise Oxford which would probably fit our needs but I'm not sure what
>else may be available and valid.

I use Chambers, but this is largely a family tradition. It's the dictionary
of choice for British-style crossword puzzle addicts.

There's a range of Oxford Dictionaries. The "Shorter Oxford" is the full one
minus the one-per-century examples. The full one reduced to a single volume
and supplied with a very necessary magnifying glass is C$400 in Toronto.
It's been on my wish list for some time.

Oxford is referred to pretty freely by UK courts.

There are others, but I'm out of touch.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
133 Wilton St, #506, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5A 4A4
Phone (416) 363-6692 Fax (416) 363-4987

What is this life, if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?*
---- _Leisure_ by W.H. Davies, first stanza

* Some sources substitute a full stop for the question mark.
"What is truth?" said jesting Pilate.