Re: Submission/Submittal

Subject: Re: Submission/Submittal
From: "Dennis Hays/The Burden Lake Group, Ltd." <dlhays -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 19:20:46 -0400

American Heritage Dictionary

Submission
1) The act of submitting to the power of another 2) The state of being
submissive or compliant 3) The act of submitting something for consideration

Submittal
1) The condition of having yielding or surrendering (oneself) to the will or
authority of another 2) The act of subjecting to some condition or process
3) Something committed to the consideration or judgement of another

IMO: It's apparently American English (not in the Concise Oxford) and I
would look at the connotation rather than the definition - Maybe,it really
depends on your ear, but I hear the manual being a submission rather than
being a submittal. However, evidence submitted to the court would be a
submittal.

Hope this helps (you can't go wrong on either one) and that's my ear. There
are hundreds of other ears on this list, so ...

Dennis Hays\The Burden Lake Group, Ltd.
Voice: 518/477-6388 Fax: 518/477-5006
eMail: dlhays -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com
"God doesn't want you to be certain.
That's why He gave you a brain."